Tuesday, July 9, 2013

4th of July 2013


Happy 4th of July (last week)! We went to John's mom's place for their big fireworks show and BBQ - like we do every year. 


The fireworks goods this year - John thought we didn't get as many big mortars as last year, but the show still seemed plenty big.


Bringing down the fireworks... and Dakota.


Nate and James both loved helping set up this year.



We originally bought the boys lots of kids fireworks, but there were so many people around {read: other careless kids with fireworks} that they didn't get to light off very many.


Their favorite was definitely the swords.


The big show started a little later and the boys and I grabbed a front row seat to watch.


I got a few pictures of John lighting off the fireworks then "walking away". I couldn't help but think of the video below, lol!







James was a little less excited about all the fireworks.


After a little while of sitting down by the lake, the boys wanted to go back up to the house. When we were about half way up the grass, I heard extra booms and noises. I turned around, still not quite sure what was going on. It took a few seconds to realize that there were fireworks going off all at once and not all of them were going UP.


There was a rush of people running out of the smoke up to the house or ducking for cover. (James beat them all running as fast as he could up to Auntie Kim!)


When all the smoke settled down, I stood half way up the yard for a minute making sure I found John's silhouette in the crowd. Everybody was a little shaken up, but totally fine.

I guess when John lit one of the fireworks, it tipped over and started a chain reaction for a bunch of other ones. {They already have lots of plans for next year's show to make sure that doesn't happen again!!} 


It was a really great evening. After giving the fireworks a little time to cool off, John finished up the show - and we watched from the back deck! I am especially thankful that everyone was ok and that the boys and I decided to head up to the house just a minute before the fireworks craziness happened!  :-)


No comments: