Sunday, March 8, 2009

Our California trip


So this is just a bit of our quick roadtrip to California last weekend. We just went for the Friday event called "King of Hammers" over in Johnson Valley, CA (2 hrs east of LA). It's basically a big desert race for buggys (really, that's all I chose to know!). It was actually quite beautiful if you ignored all the jeeps and red necks and focused on the time away from work and 78* weather!


This was the setup...




And one of the reasons the trip down took 26 hours





In the distance are about half the trucks and campers literally parked in the desert camping all week. NOT my idea of a great vacation!




The first part of the day, we just drove around and checked things out. You could follow the little roads through the weeds, or really go wherever you wanted. It was the desert afterall!




As part of the race, you could be driving down a (not clearly marked) main trail and suddenly have to dive into the bushes because a racer was coming straight at you!




I was the official dog watcher!




Part of the race was going through the big rocky canyons. Super redneck. Look at us all sitting there like spectators!




I like this picture. In one of the canyons we were watching, the "video helicopter" was filming the action. We were looking down on the racers AND the helicopter!




Like I said, it was actually pretty beautiful, but in a totally NOT northwest sort of way!



3 comments:

Bekah said...

You are AMAZING!! I would utterly HATE that trip!
1. I hate dirt
2. I hate camping
3. I hate hot weather

You are good to your husband!

Amy said...

You hate hot weather?? Good thing you live in Washington!

Keri Ronk said...

Wow Angus looks like a man dog now not a puppy!