Tuesday, April 30, 2013
Sugar Free May
It's happening again - Sugar Free May begins tomorrow!
As a rule of thumb, I don't loose weight while my babies are nursing. I know you're supposed to use an extra 8,000 calories a day or something, but that just doesn't happen here! I have been very good about going to the gym every day that's possible but I've also let really bad and "easy" food options creep back in our house.
Since I want this month to be realistic and "sustainable", I have a few exceptions:
1. Tillamook Yogurt - I can't do plain yogurt or greek yogurt yet, I've tried. This stuff is my favorite and the goods outweigh the bads IMHO.
2. Dave's Bread - Again, there's technically sugar in it, but the rest is fabulous.
3. Mini chocolate chips - In otherwise sugar-free recipes. I don't know of a substitute...
4. Coffee - At the store today I'll try to find the best option for coffee creamer, but I'm not quite willing to give up the morning coffee(s) or go black. If I remember right, last year I tried to drink coffee with honey and it was pretty gross. Any suggestions??
5. Dinners out - Two years ago, I actually made my own peanut butter and honey sandwich to bring to a group event so I wouldn't need to eat the pizza there. Last year, a friend knew Keri & I were doing sugar free so she made us completely different "sugar free" versions of the snacks at a baby shower. I really don't want to make a big scene or put anyone out when we eat together. I'll just pass on the bread and dessert and not worry about the rest!
6. The occasional "adult beverage" - Who likes a party pooper? Not me!
Those seems like a lot of exceptions, but I know myself and those things on the list are not part of my problem. Cereal and snacking and dessert-ing are. :-)
This will be the third year that I will be doing a "sugar-free month". It probably sounds silly to keep doing this, but I'm a pragmatist and it has worked in the past - I just need the reminder about once a year! I tend to be a tad grumpy and headachy and hungry the first week, then I start feeling better the second week. By the third week, I've embraced real foods and try to cook creative and yummy things. By the fourth week, I feel fantastic and in control again. And the fifth week - ready for swimsuit season! (Yeah right) ;-)
Here it goes.............
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
You inspired me! I'm sugar free (until mid may when we have a big wedding we are attending.)
Love your blog, btw!
Yay! That's awesome!
Post a Comment