In anticipation for mr. baby man's great escape (that's what I like to call birth):
Is there anything you couldn't live without in having a kid? (Besides a stash of diapers and ear plugs) ;-)
Or anything you thought you really needed, but ended up not using?
Just curious.... and thanks in advance!
12 comments:
you don't need a baby wiper warmer. I would suggest ear plugs, especially at the beginning. Babies make all sorts of noises while they sleep and the first few days the baby will be with you. Ear plugs will cancel out the little grunting noises but you can still hear him cry. Are you registered anywhere yet?
We purhased an Itzbeen (available at Amazon and Target). It seems like an odd little useless thing but was SUCH a life saver at one in the morning.
I also like the Huggie (I think it's called )vs. the Boppie. They have the Huggie thing at the giftshop at the Women's Pavillion in Everett - it's wider and just easier to use.
We also got a little stuffed sheep that makes a heart beat sound, and that helped Merian a lot (but she had colic).
I think that's it for newborns - I wouldn't recommend travel systems, but a good carseat and a nice stroller (like, if you're super cool, a Bob's).
The last thing - green cabbage. Seriously, when your milk comes in, the cabbage leaves help w/the soreness, etc.
Aim,
What a brilliant post! We need to get some more answers on here! Good job, you may be el largo but you're still really smart! :)
I love you and I miss you!
Love, Sooz
Sweet, thanks! I'm adjusting my registries as I write!
Bekah - just deleted the wipe warmer =). And we did the usual Target and BRUs registries!
Leila - I just googled almost everything you wrote about to figure out what everything was! Boy do I have alot to learn! And I'll have to grab you in church someday (platonically speaking) to figure out the whole cabbage thing! =)
Sooz - love you and Pinkie!
What about a bumbo? Do you use those?
First of all, that is THE BEST title for birth. Ever. I love it. I'm laughing. Sean even laughed.
Love my bumbo! I have only had it with Hallie, but it's great. Especially when you're remodeling and have no furniture anywhere in the main room and are sitting on the filthy floor...oh, wait, that's not you, that's me.
Newborn necessities...hmmm. Yeah, the wipe warmer was overrated. This article was not.
Boppy (or whatever Leila said is better). That's really super helpful at the beginning. And if you don't need it to nurse, you can sit on it to ease the, um, discomforts you may have from Mr. Baby Man's Great Escape!!!
Speaking of discomforts, lots of ibuprofen.
Earplugs, yes.
Well, I'm afraid to say this with Leila watching, but she got me an Itzbeen, and I was SO excited, but it was a defective one, and I never got the replacement from Mr. Itzbeen. But it seemed awesome. I always use a tiny notebook and a pen and a very tired new-mommy memory, and it never works very well. :)
Some kind of light you can dim by your bed (or wherever baby care will be happening in the middle of the night). A nightlight doesn't cut it - and I discovered this by having Maggie poop in my mouth. It's a long story.
People you can call or have over to remind you that it's just a stage and yes, Mr. Baby Man will sleep through the night at some point and no, you are not a total failure and yes, you will stop leaking fluids from every possible orifice at some point as well and no, nursing does not always hurt like heck.
Lots of absorbent things. Diapers, nursing pads, regular (but giant) pads, changing pads, burpers, towels, etc. etc.
Extra memory cards for your camera.
Ok, I'll probably be back later, but that's all I can think of now.
Boy, Amy, you really opened yourself up for advice. Brave woman! I loved my Baby Bjorn. Crazy expensive but so worth it. Those car seats weigh a ton and are cumbersome. I always slipped my babies into my Bjorn and zipped through my errands. Plus, I didn't like strangers coming up and touching my baby and the Bjorn kept them at a comfortable distance. If you don't get one for your shower I'll send you mine.
A fun splurge is a video monitor instead of just an audio monitor. THis investment is great even when the kiddo gets older and you need to train him to stay in bed. My kids are convinced I can see through closed doors!
By the way, your neice is the cutest little girl. I held her at the hospital for a couple hours. She looked around for a while and then snuggled in for a nap. I was in heaven!
Susan Navas
Mo - Lol! I think I'm going to go back to that 9th paragraph *alot* in the coming months! ...and I don't think I WANT to hear about the "poo" incident, but I NEED to find out because what is going on in my imagination is NOT cool. (as though any sort of story involving poo in mouth could be "cool"!)
Susan - Hi! First, I'm SO jealous you got to hang out with little Kenley - and I know Brian & Keri were overwhelmed by your generosity in driving all the way down to see them! I got an "infantino" carrier from Sonja at church, does that pretty much work the same? And I LOVE the video story! So that's how moms have eyes everywhere!
Amy,
well since I have been a mom for a total of six days I thought I would share what is making my life easier!
1. I like the newborn gowns, they make diaper changes so quick
2. The bouncy seat. It's great because it can go all over the house. I have also heard that these are great to stick them in when you take a shower.
3. Lots of wash clothes for when your milk comes in a you drip all over him :)
4. Breast pump, our hospital gives away a manual one for free, before my milk came in it was nice to pump a tiny bit right before I attached her so that it was easier for her to figure it out.
5. I totally agree with the extra memory cards. Ours filled up at the hospital, luckily our friends who waited in the waiting room with us all night let us use their camera.
Love you Amy! Can't wait to meet my nephew!
Keri is right about the gowns for quick diaper changes. I'm not familiar with the Infantino carrier but if Sonja (Sarr, I'm assuming) recommends it I'm sure it's a great one. If it's okay with you, I'll offer mine to Brian and Keri instead.
I couldn't live without my diaper genie and breast pump. It's great to be able to pump and freeze milk so you can get out and have John or Grandma (or Auntie Tonia) babysit without worrying about feeding. We are anxiously awaiting that phone call. Remember it takes me 3.5 hours to get there!
Susan, if you read this I would totally love to have your bjorn if you still have it. I was planning on doing the sling thing but it totally isn't really working for us. Thanks!
Post a Comment