Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Media Fast


In our Sunday adult class, we have been reading Chip Ingram's "Living on the Edge". I highly recommend it. The idea of the book is that Romans 12 is the starting point for the Christian life.

It's description says: "What most Christians sadly misunderstand is that God isn't into religious activities or performance-based Christianity. Instead, Romans 12 reveals to us a relational profile of what it means to be a disciple, as well as a proven pathway to becoming more like Jesus each day."




Anyway, there's my plug. It's been a great book for John and I to read recently.


The chapter we just finished is titled "Could your mental diet be killing your soul?". It really challenged us to look at what, and how much of, other things we are filling our minds with. Specifically entertainment media.

Romans 12:2 says to "be transformed by the renewing of your mind". Obviously there is a lot you can go in-depth on with that phrase alone, but for me, I am learning to re-think what I am putting in front of my face for my mind to think about. Not because it makes me a good Christian to not watch or listen to "worldly" things, but because I want my mind to be renewed and my heart transformed.

The chapter challenged us to do a 24-hour media fast. John and I decided to try it last Sunday and I think it was pretty beneficial. Sunday is usually the day I sit on the couch and watch Law & Order - stop judging me, lol. This Sunday I spent more time with the boys, did some reading, and organized some pictures on the computer.

We may continue to make Sunday our media-free day, we'll see how it goes. I like the idea of it being more of a set-apart day. Again, not because of legalism, but because we want to have our priorities in line!


No comments: