Thursday, April 24, 2014
And then there's James
We have entered a new stage of parenting recently.
Bethany needs a watchful eye and is learning boundaries.
Nate needs lots of love and snuggles.
And James just wants to be a man.
A few weeks ago after our preschool friends had left, James came upstairs to find me:
"Mom, I feel like a grown up. I don't think that I should go to preschool anymore because I feel older.... Like an adult. Like.... 10 years old."
James' "feeling like a grown up" has come up a lot recently.
He announces almost every night that he does not think he should go to bed because he feels like an adult and should stay up late with the adults. He also announces that he will be waking up with us early in the morning.
He insists on bringing in all the heavy groceries by himself, portioning out food for Bethany so she doesn't choke, and "taking a look at" anything that needs to be repaired in the house.
I have always had the attitude of showing even little boys respect, but James stretches me even more! James genuinely wants to be treated like an adult. I get so much more out of him when I talk to him like a man and give him a lot of responsibility.
Just the other day, we were both having a rough time with our attitudes. We appologized and forgave, then I told James that when Dad is gone, he is the man of the house. He still obeys me, but it is his job to protect and look after the family when Dad is gone. It's also his job to be a good example to Nate and Bethany and show them how we do life in our home. I watched his attitude change immediately.
James is just like his dad. He thrives under the weight of responsibility and he's a no BS sort of person. Don't talk down to him. He gets it.
I'm amazed how children are so different from birth. Same home, parents, circumstances. We're finally getting to the age where the differences change how we parent - not expectations, but techniques.
And they're only 1,3, and 4!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment