Monday, November 4, 2013

Three Doctor Appointments


Last week, I took all the kids in for their 4-year, 3-year, and 6 month (she's behind!) doctor appointments. I've taken the boys with me to Bethy's appointments and it was no big deal so I figured we could knock out these check-ups pretty quickly.

James woke up nervous about getting shots that day. That morning, he was moping around saying that he didn't want shots and asking why he had to get them. When I told him that we had to get shots to keep us from getting sick, he gave me the James scowl and said, "No, Mom, you're kidding me. JESUS heals us when we're sick. I don't need shots."

I had no words....


All went well with the appointments until it was time to leave.

James -
Weight:  32 lb 8 oz
Height:  3' 2"
4 shots

Nate -
Weight:  35 lb 2 oz
Height:  2' 11.5"
3 shots

Bethy -
Weight:  15 lb 8 oz
Height:  26.5"
4 shots

I didn't fully comprehend 11 shots with 3 kids, 1 of me, and 1 completely unsympathetic nurse. Nate went first and took it like a man. James cried but then sat in the chair and did pretty well. Bethy did the usual can't-breathe cry then found her thumb and was as sweet as ever.


As we went to leave, James decided that his legs hurt too bad to walk and he started howling. I sat him down and gave him the "I know it hurts, be a man" pep-talk. It didn't work. While Nate went skipping down the hall, I drug James - who was stiff-legged, moving a half-inch at a time, and bawling - out of the office.

Oh, and on top of all that, I couldn't stop laughing at the whole scene. Like, a serious case of the giggles. So much so that it kind of looked like I was crying. I definitely wasn't crying, but maybe it got me a little more sympathy from the kind folks in the waiting room!

And THAT, my friends, is why I vow to never schedule 3 kids doctor visits at the same time EVER again.  :-)




No comments: